Originally homesteaded in 1881 by James B. Putnam, the Buckley Ranch was eventually pruchased by the Harrington family and passed along to Ada Harrington and her husband, Arthur R. Buckley. The young couple took over ranch operations in 1908, raising cattle, horses, and hay until sheep became the primary product of the ranch around 1915. The sheep ranch was highly successful, boasting 2,500 sheep in 1920 and as many as 7,200 in the 1930s. The Buckleys continued ranching here until 1949 when the the property was incorporated into the large holdings of Texas oilman and developer A.T. McDannald. Colorado Parks & Wildlife purchased the property in 1986 and it is now part of the Spinney Mountain State Wildlife Area. A parking area for fishing, hunting, and wildlife viewing is available at the ranch.